An Income Tax Officer deals with income tax matters such as assessment. Appeals and collection of taxes.
What do they do?
• Examining the income-tax statements declared by the citizens and the companies
• Verifying the correctness of the financial statements declared
• Meeting the tax payers and their representatives and sorting out the taxation problems.
• Assisting in conducting income-tax searches (raids) on the tax payers premises to unearth the . Assets which they might have accumulated without paying axes
• Tallying (compare) incomes from various sources against tax payer’s declaration.
• Collecting market information, identifying tax evaders and developing cases for further action.
• Interpreting laws that govern different types of companies and the rationale of taxing them.
• High level of numeracy, analytical, research skills coupled with strong problem-solving skills.
• Strong communication skills, including the ability to convey complex information to clients Ability to write clear reports.
Post-Graduate Std X. Graduate Entrance Exams None UPSC Any Stream Any Stream
Option I:Via Staff Selection
Option 2:Via UPSC exam
Level I:Assistant Commissioner
Level 2. Deputy Commissioner
Level I: Income Tax Inspector
Level 2: Income Tax Officer
Level 4: Additional Commissioner
Level 3: Senior Income Tax Office
Level 4:Assistant Commissioner
Level 5: Deputy Commissioner
Level 6: Chief Commissioner
Companies that currently recruit
• The Indian Income Tax Department