Chemical Engineering involves the application of Chemistry and Physics along with Mathematics in order to convert raw materials, chemicals into useful and valuable forms. Chemical engineers use the best resources to find the most convenient method to manufacture products. Chemical engineers use their technical knowledge to transform chemical raw materials into usable, viable products. Chemical Engineering differs from chemistry mainly in the application of mathematics, physics and chemistry for large scale production or products. Products produced range from soaps to synthetic fibres such as nylon and plastics.
A chemical engineer helps in the translation of different processes that are developed in the lab into convert them into practical applications for the production of plastics, medicines, detergents, fuels and many more products. They also help with the design of plants to increase productivity with minimal costs. Any company that deals in the manufacture of chemicals is an excellent job opportunity for a chemical engineering graduate. There are opportunities in the fields of nuclear energy, food production, materials science, development of new sources of energy, and even medicine. Chemical Engineering graduates have opportunities in the research, environmental studies, data processing, sales and management, market analysis, etc. sectors as well.
- The candidates must have passed 12th or an equivalent degree from a recognised institute/board.
- The candidate must have opted for Mathematics and Physics as the major subjects in class 12th along with one of the optional subjects as Chemistry/ Biology/ Biotechnology.
- The candidate must have acquired a minimum aggregate of 60% (55% for the reserved candidates) in the qualifying examination.
- The candidates who are appearing for the final exam or waiting for the final result can also apply for admission to B. Tech Chemical Engineering course.
What do they do?
- work closely with process chemists and control engineers to ensure the process plant is set up to provide maximum output levels and efficient running of the production facility
- design plant and equipment configuration so that they can be readily adapted to suit the product range and the process technologies involved, taking environmental and economic aspects into account
- set up scale-up and scale-down processes, including making appropriate changes, to equipment design and configuration
- assess options for plant expansion or reconfiguration by developing and testing process simulation models
- design, install and commission new production plants, including monitoring developments and troubleshooting
- optimise production by analysing processes and compiling debottleneck studies
- apply new technologies
- research new products from trial through to commercialisation and improve product lines
- Ensure that potential safety issues related to the project operator, the environment, the process and the product are considered at all stages.
- an understanding of engineering principles and mathematics
- project management skills
- resource management skills
- oral and written communication skills
- analytical and problem-solving ability
- the ability to work as part of a team
- the capacity to motivate and lead a team
- strong IT skills
- a careful and methodical approach with good attention to detail
- commercial and business awareness
- Creativity and innovation.
- Specialty Chemicals
- Power Production
- Environmental Control
- Waste Management
In India there are a variety of employment opportunities available for chemical engineering graduates in both the public as well as private sector. They can take up jobs in other fields as well that include the following,
- Operations or Manufacturing
- Research and Development
- Design and Construction
The various job options which the candidates can take after pursuing a degree in B. Tech Chemical Engineering includes Production Engineer, Project Manager, Plant Manager, Purchase and Control Quality Executive, Plant Designer, Chemical Engineer, etc
- Reliance Industries Ltd.
- Essar Oil Limited
- Deepak Fertilizers and Petrochemicals Corp. Ltd
- Gujarat Gas Company Limited
- Gujarat Alkalies & Chemicals Ltd
- Reliance Petroleum Limited
- Arofine Polymers Ltd
- Colour-Chem Ltd
- Godavari Fertilisers and Chemicals Limited
- Tecnimont ICB Ltd
- Toyo Engineering India Ltd
- Larsen & Toubro Ltd
- Century Textiles and Industries Ltd
- Hindustan Lever Ltd