The word “chef” is derived from the term chef de cuisine, the director or head of a kitchen. They can receive formal training from an institution, as well as by apprenticing with an experienced chef.
There are different terms that use the word chef in their titles, and deal with specific areas of food preparation. Examples include a sous-chef, who acts as the second-in-command in a kitchen, a chef de partie, who handles a specific area of production.
The kitchen brigade system is a hierarchy found in restaurants and hotels employing extensive staff, many of which use the word “chef” in their titles.
Underneath the chefs are the kitchen assistants. A chef’s standard uniform includes a hat (called a toque), neckerchief, double-breasted jacket, apron and sturdy shoes (that may include steel or plastic toe-caps).
He is a back bone for hotel industry and restaurants. Students having interest in pursuing hotel management as a career, becoming a chef is the most favourite and lovable choice. Surprisingly many renowned chefs are ones who converted their hobby into profession .if you are really innovative and have the sense of taste and presentation, this is an exciting career to pursue.
XIIth (Any Stream)
Graduate (Hotel Management)
(Master’s Degree in Gastronomy/ Culinary Arts)
What do they do?
• Kitchen organization (setting the menu) and staff management (recruiting, training and. managing kitchen staff)
• Continued efficiency of the kitchen and production of consistent quality food.
• Supply management & event management
• Upholding food safety and ensuring all laws and regulations are followed.
- Genuine Passion
- Kitchen organization (setting the menu) and staff management (recruiting, training and. managing kitchen staff)
- Continued efficiency of the kitchen and production of consistent quality food.
- Supply management & event management
- Upholding food safety and ensuring all laws and regulations are followed.
- High creativity and always willing to try something new.
- Passion for taste and cooking.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to coach and guide without hesitation.
- Minimum wastage and art to manage in limited resources.
- Ability to Skilfully Multitask
Being a chef could open many avenues in the following areas:
- Food Manufacturing
- Food Processing Companies
- Cruise liners
- Catering in Confectionaries
- Corporate Catering
An individual can also choose to provide catering or work in canteens of colleges, universities, and private schools. Pursuing a formal education in this field opens another option of working as a faculty member in private or government institutions that offer hotel management courses.
• In India: The Taj Hotels, Oberoi Hotels and Resorts, Orange County, The Leela
• Worldwide: First World Hotel (Genting Islands), Emirates Palace (Abu Dhabi), Burj Al Arab t Hotel (Dubai).The plaza (New York City), Palms (Las Vegas)